Here Is Everything You Need To Know About
Sciatica (low back pain).
Are you suffering from Sciatica in the Salt Lake City or South Jordan area? Sciatica is a version of nerve pain that can be incredibly painful and debilitating, even when at rest.
The sciatic nerve is the longest nerve in your body. It starts in your lower spine and then branches into a pair of nerves. They run through both of your hips, buttocks and legs, ending in your feet.
If something pinches or pushes against your sciatic nerve, you may feel pain along the entire length of the nerve. You may also have tingling, numbness or weakness in your leg or foot. Symptoms usually occur only on one side of your body.
Whether your sciatica pain comes and goes, or won’t go away, our physical therapists at Aspen Falls can help. Your treatment plan will depend on your underlying medical condition (what’s causing your sciatica), and the severity of your symptoms.
Healing your sciatica will allow you to enjoy life more thoroughly, every single day. We will help you on the healing journey by stretching your tight muscles and strengthening the weak ones. Our physical therapists can also help you learn to avoid positions or movements that cause pain.
Your therapy for your sciatica is very individualized and unique, just like you. Our specialists will assess your pain and motor function and will work with you on supervised exercises and may also show you how to do exercises at home.
How does it feel?
- Lower Back Pain?
- Sharp or shooting pain in lower back and butt
- Numbness, tingling, and pain in the hips, legs or feet.
- Weakness or loss of sensation below your back.
Signs and Symptoms
- Pain radiating from the back into the hips and legs
- Inability to sit or stand for an extended period of time
- Difficulty bending forward
- Weakness in your hips or legs
- Difficulty sitting or standing
- Weakness in the hips or legs
- Pain in the back, hips, legs, or feet
- Muscle spasms and pain around the back and hips
- Stiffness in the back and hips
- Difficulty maintaining one position for a long period of time
- Difficulty sleeping due to pain
Breakdown of cartilage in spinal joints, which cause bones to rub against each other, forming painful spurs. These bone spurs extend into the spinal canal which puts pressure on nerves.
- We conduct a thorough examination including the back and hips. We determine the root cause of your symptoms to ensure that chiropractic treatment treatment is the best option for you.
- We examine posture, range of motion, strength, reflexes, sensation, soft tissue mobility, joint mobility, nerve mobility, and functional movements to create a custom treatment plan. We also take into account any imaging that you have had like X-Rays, MRI, CT scans, etc.
- Each nerve root corresponds with a specific area and we help determine which nerve(s) are affected to target our treatments toward these areas. This specified treatment helps you feel better quickly and get back to the activities you love!
GOAL FOR TREATMENT
To reduce painful pressure on sciatic nerve and improve mobility through our specialized treatment plan and chiropractic adjustments.
HOW WE HELP YOU RECOVER
Relieve Pain Without Surgery
One of the reasons discs and tissue will continue to bulge is that they’re dried out and no longer flexible. To help increase blood flow to the injured areas, we use a specialized machine to gently stretch the spine, allowing fluids and nutrients back into your disc and arthritic tissues to promote healing. The process is called non-surgical decompression, and is proven to help pull the bulging part of your disc back into place, alleviating pain and other symptoms including sciatica.
Speed Up Recovery With Laser Therapy
Another way to help relieve your pain, and help your disc and tissues heal themselves is by targeting dying and dehydrated cells. To do this we use a calibrated laser that helps increase blood flow, repair tissues and stimulate cell growth, while most importantly reducing inflammation and pressure on the sciatic nerve. Our laser is FDA approved, painless and even cool to the touch.
Heal Fast with a Customized Exercise Plan and Chiropractic care
At Aspen Falls we use specially developed exercises, along with the latest research in chiropractic care, to help your disc and tissues return to their natural position. We’ll train you on these exercises at the clinic, that way you can do them at home in between visits. This helps speed up recovery, and prevent future injuries, while giving you the power to treat at home.
HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE TO HEAL YOUR SCIATICA?
Typically, we can reduce sciatica symptoms within just a few visits. Depending on how severe your injury is, age, and how well you follow your home exercise program, full recovery is expected within 4-12 weeks. Patients that are working through home exercises along with attending scheduled sessions often recover fastest.
What should I do next?
- Schedule an initial examination
- Let us find the root cause of your pain
- Create a custom treatment plan for you
- Start living pain-free!
Want more information?
We offer Various Treatments
We are proud to offer a wide range of comprehensive services to meet the needs of our patients. Our team of professional therapist specialize in providing personalized exercise and rehabilitative therapy.
There’s nothing quite like the perfect massage to help ease anxiety, relieve aches and pains, and put you in a more relaxed mood.Find Out More
The DRX9000 Spinal Decompression unit is the industry leader in the treatment of severe or chronic low back and neck pain.Find Out More
Auto Injury Therapy
Whether it is the treatment we offer in our office, or the proper referrals to get you where you need to be, our commitment is to the health and well being of our patients.Find Out More