Here Is Everything You Need To Know About
Neck Herniated Disc or Neck Bulging Disc
What is a herniated disc in the neck?
Your spine is made up of 33 vertebrae (bones) that are stacked on top of one another. Between each vertebra is a cushion-like piece of cartilage called an “intervertebral disk.” Imagine the disk as a tire, with gelatin filling the hole in the tire. The rubbery outer part is called the “annulus,” and the gelatin is called the “nucleus.” When we’re young—under 30 years of age—the disk is made mostly of gelatin. As we age, we start to lose some of that gelatin. The disk becomes flatter and less flexible, making it easier to injure. In some cases, the gelatin can push out through a crack in the rubbery exterior and lead to a herniation (bulge) or rupture (tear).
Herniated disks are most common in the neck (cervical spine) and low back (lumbar spine). In the low back, disks may become damaged by excessive wear and tear or an injury.
What are common causes of a herniated disc in the neck?
Your risk for developing a herniated disk increases due to:
- Age – most herniated discs occur in people who are 30 to 50 years of age as a result of age-related disk degeneration. Herniated disks are less common after the age of 50, however, because with aging there is less fluid to push out of the disk.
- Obesity – increased weight results in increased pressure on the disks
- Occupation – jobs that are physically demanding and involve repetitive tasks such as lifting, pushing, pulling, and twisting place additional stress on the disks
- Low levels of physical activity – people who are not physically active are less able to handle physical demands
How does it feel?
- Clicking or Popping
Signs and Symptoms
- Inability to bend or rotate your neck
- Difficulty looking up, down or over your shoulder
- Weakness in your arm or shoulder muscles
- Muscle spasms and pain around the neck and shoulder
- Pain in the neck, upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Weakness in the arms or hands
- Numbness or tingling in the neck, shoulders, arms or hands
- Inability to maintain upright posture
- Stiffness in the neck and shoulders
- Difficulty maintaining one position for a long period of time
- Difficulty sleeping due to pain
- We conduct a thorough examination including the head, neck, and arms. We determine the root cause of your symptoms to ensure that chiropractic treatment treatment is the best option for you.
- We examine posture, range of motion, strength, reflexes, sensation, soft tissue mobility, joint mobility, nerve mobility, and functional movements to create a custom treatment plan. We also take into account any imaging that you have had like X-Rays, MRI, CT scans, etc.
Can chiropractic treatment Help?
- Yes!!! Recent onset of symptoms typically results in a quicker recovery time of about 1-2 months. Whereas persistent symptoms that have lasted longer than 6 months, usually takes 2-6 months to recover.
- Good news!!! Recent research has actually shown that chiropractic treatment is a better option than surgery, pain medication and injections. We can help you avoid unnecessary invasive procedures and tests that cost a fortune with limited effectiveness.
- More good news!!! Recent research has also shown that disc issues can begin as early as your 20’s but most people actually never have pain due to the disc(s) alone. The outcomes with chiropractic treatment treatment are very good to reduce pain, increase functionality, and enjoy your life!
What should I do next?
- Schedule an initial examination
- Let us find the root cause of your pain
- Create a custom treatment plan for you
- Start living pain-free!
Want more information?
We offer Various Treatments
We are proud to offer a wide range of comprehensive services to meet the needs of our patients. Our team of professional therapist specialize in providing personalized exercise and rehabilitative therapy.
There’s nothing quite like the perfect massage to help ease anxiety, relieve aches and pains, and put you in a more relaxed mood.Find Out More
The DRX9000 Spinal Decompression unit is the industry leader in the treatment of severe or chronic low back and neck pain.Find Out More
Auto Injury Therapy
Whether it is the treatment we offer in our office, or the proper referrals to get you where you need to be, our commitment is to the health and well being of our patients.Find Out More