Here Is Everything You Need To Know About
Upper Trap Pain
What is Upper Trap Pain?
Cervical radiculopathy occurs when a nerve root coming off the spinal cord becomes compressed. Nerve compression can occur for multiple reasons. In younger people, it may occur when a cervical disc herniates due to an injury. In older individuals, it can occur spontaneously as a result of arthritis or decreased disc height in the neck region.
The cervical spine consists of 7 cervical vertebrae (the bones that form the neck region). Each vertebra is separated by a gel-like disc. The discs provide shock absorption for the spine. The spinal cord travels through a canal in the cervical vertebrae. Spinal nerve roots extend from the spinal cord and branch off going to specific locations in the arm. The spinal nerves send signals to our muscles for movement as well as sensations that we feel in the entire arm. The spinal cord is like a tree trunk, and the spinal nerves are like the tree branches. If an impingement or abnormal pressure is placed on a branch near the trunk, everything along that branch will be affected.
What are common causes of upper trap pain?
Spinal nerves can be impinged by:
- Disc wear-and-tear with age
- Herniated or bulging discs from trauma or degeneration
- Spinal stenosis (a narrowing of the spaces in which the nerves travel)
- Tumor (either benign or malignant)
How does it feel?
Signs and Symptoms
- Pain improves if you put your hand on your head
- Inability to bend or rotate your neck
- Difficulty looking up, down or over your shoulder
- Weakness in your arm or shoulder muscles
- Muscle spasms and pain around the neck and shoulder
- Pain in the neck, upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Weakness in the arms or hands
- Numbness or tingling in the neck, shoulders, arms or hands
- Inability to maintain upright posture
- Stiffness in the neck and shoulders
- Difficulty maintaining one position for a long period of time
- Difficulty sleeping due to pain
- We conduct a thorough examination including the head, neck, and arms. We determine the root cause of your symptoms to ensure that physical therapy treatment is the best option for you.
- We examine posture, range of motion, strength, reflexes, sensation, soft tissue mobility, joint mobility, nerve mobility, and functional movements to create a custom treatment plan. We also take into account any imaging that you have had like X-Rays, MRI, CT scans, etc.
- Each nerve root corresponds with a specific area and we help determine which nerve(s) are affected to target our treatments toward these areas. This specified treatment helps you feel better quickly and get back to the activities you love!
Can Physical Therapy Help?
- Yes!!! Recent onset of symptoms typically results in a quicker recovery time of about 1-2 months. Whereas persistent symptoms that have lasted longer than 6 months, usually takes 2-6 months to recover.
- Good news!!! Recent research has actually shown that physical therapy is a better option than surgery, pain medication and injections. We can help you avoid unnecessary invasive procedures and tests that cost a fortune with limited effectiveness.
- “I had a severe neck injury-impending surgery about a year ago and hope for improvement was little. […] I left the first session feeling positive and hopeful. Steven was very professional, thorough and patient. After the 3rd session, I could feel a huge improvement and by the end I was about 90% improved overall. This team does “miracles”! They support their patients, follow up on them… all this with a positive attitude and a smile!!” – Dr. Elias M.
We may use a combination of the following techniques to help you get your life back (click each link to learn more):
- Spinal Manipulation/Mobilization
- Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Pain Reducing Modalities
- Neuromuscular Retraining
- Mobility Training
- Strength Training
- Endurance Training
- Sport Specific Training
- Kinesiology Taping
What should I do next?
- Schedule an initial examination
- Let us find the root cause of your pain
- Create a custom treatment plan for you
- Start living pain-free!
Want more information?
The Aspen Falls Spinal Care Center Way
We have a 5-step approach:
Reduce your pain
Regain normal movement and eliminate pain
Get your life back
Optimize your life and body
Be Your Best
We will work closely with all your healthcare providers
Guaranteed One-On-one Treatment
Setting goals is the best way to enjoy a successful outcome
We offer Various Treatments
We are proud to offer a wide range of comprehensive services to meet the needs of our patients. Our team of professional therapist specialize in providing personalized exercise and rehabilitative therapy.